Thursday, November 17, 2005

Writing Again

Remember that one time when I said that I'd write again "soon"? Turns out that was a big lie. Who knew?

But I'm going to be honest with you people. I haven't been writing because last week I fell down the stairs in my house and broke both my legs. I couldn't even get across the room to reach my cell phone to call for help. Every movement was excruciating. I survived for five days off a single stale cracker and some granules of laundry detergent. The kind with bleach. Finally, some people from my work stopped by and took me to the hospital. The only thing that got me through it were thoughts of this blog.

Remember that one time when I said I was going to be honest? That was the bleach talking.

But honestly, some may be eager to hear details relating to my previous post about the girl. While it is true that I am dating her, and we've been spending a lot of time together, there isn't much more to it. I was trying to buy time, to explain my long absence. We can leave it at that. I am not in love.

Which reminds me of the time I was trapped in my house with two broken legs. Did I ever tell you about that? It gave me a lot of time to think. At first it was empty kinds of thoughts-- like who would sign my cast and whatnot. Then it got deeper: if I had fallen down in a forest, instead of my house, and no one was around, would I have made a sound? And deeper still: maybe I hadn't fallen down the stairs at all-- maybe the bottom of the stairs had toppled down on top of me.

I will try to write more, because I like writing when I am actually doing it. But other things have been on my mind. Complicated things. Like the probability of falling down stairs. And the probability of never falling in love.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeremy, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you, I wanted to call you as soon as I read this post, but I can't find your cell number. :(

Come back to California! I'll nurse you back to health. Cing and I both miss you very much.

Love will come when the time is right, I think of Song of Songs 2:7 when I feel like "stirring up love." God knows of the perfect timing, and I trust that.

the thanksgiving dinner is coming up soon, we'll all sign your casts and draw cool pictures on it. :) Take care of yourself, Jermz!
-Jill

Jer said...

Oh Jill -- you're sweet. I didn't fall down any stairs. I guess I should make it much more clear when I'm lying.

And I'll see you and Cing soon. I emailed Cing -- and we're going to do lunch next week. I told her to let you know.

Anonymous said...

yikes, I'm a silly person, I guess I never take medical problems as a joke. Sorry for being so serious.

I hope I didn't frighten anybody with my comment. I do hope you are well though. Cing and I talk about you and I even dreamed of you last week, I told my boyfriend and he said it's okay. :P

Looking forward to next week! I've got Amelie to give you!

Anonymous said...

It took me 7 lines to find out that you were joking...i got it with the granules of laundry detergent. freak...i would have signed your cast though.

grace said...

if you want, i can break your legs for you. then you'll have a really cool cast. and i'll sign it. i know you've always wanted my autograph. heh.

:P

Kim said...

I hope that this teaches you a lesson Jeremy - You should lie...but if you do stick to it and make everyone feel sorry for you.

Kim said...

Doh! That should have said "shouldn't"

Jer said...

Jill: Ditto -- Cing is thinking Tuesday.

Grace: How about you autograph my forehead next week. I'll never wash it again.

Ness: What are you doing staying up and not sleeping. Don't make me come over there.

Mr.What: Shutup, you.

Kim: I did learn my lesson -- especially when I got emails offering condolenses, and one from a friend in France who was upset by it. These things don't translate well I suppose. But, if you speak English, CLEARLY I WAS LYING.

Next post: I'll announce my own death. We'll see how many people buy that.

grace said...

SWEET. i'd love to.

NARDAC said...

Nice to see you lie so convincingly for the blog. But, I don't believe you. I think you either broke your teapot and fell in the love with the detergent granules, or you've fallen in love with a cellphone with two broken legs.

Either way, this is the saddest post from you in awhile: Not believing you can be in love = buying time = imaginary broken legs. Dude, that sucks.

Jer said...

Hah, Nardac ... you're the only one who got it right.

NARDAC said...

Courage, mon petit mec.