Friday, June 05, 2009

Pacific Northwest - Day 4

It was in the downpour and the drizzle that I did my best to navigate the streets of Portland. I hear the public transportation system is great there, and I suppose it would have to be with all the one-way streets and severely limited parking. Sick of the car, I spent some time walking downtown and along the waterfront, getting rather soggy, but in good spirits. Highlight of my time was browsing Powell's Books, which fills a whole city block. The place is HUGE and the selection is amazing. I picked up an old edition of a Ray Bradbury short story collection for a few bucks.

I decided not to spend the full day in the city. I figure I'll go back another time and explore it with company. Instead, I headed to Seaside, a small coastal town. Wonderful place. The hostel is set up like a motel, but with multiple bunks per room. It was still cold and rainy, but the beach was great, filled with broken sand dollars and crab shells. Everywhere I stepped, crab shells. They crunch when you step on them in an pleasing, addictive way, much like popping bubble wrap. I couldn't stop crunching them.

I have more I could write, but it's getting late and my roommates are old men who doubtless don't appreciate the clacking of the keys. Tomorrow will be a day of sea towns and beaches. And hopefully cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you were able to find satiating cheese. I've been to Portland Oregon once, a slightly rainy but charming town. Glad you're enjoying your stay!-Jill