Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Living All Retired-Like

If I haven't been updating lately, blame the elderly. This is a good rule of thumb in general when anything goes wrong. It just so happens that in this case it really is the fault of the elderly. As soon as I returned from Nevada, I had a week of reunions with my grandparents and various relatives. My grandfather has 11 siblings, which makes for a lot of great-aunts and great-uncles within an inch of dying. You know it's a party when the guests arrive with oxygen tanks in tow. And then, keeping with the spirit of Memorial Day, we visited cemetery after cemetery, spreading flowers and glee. We did this for 5 days. Chatting, eating, sleeping, kicking it in graveyards... Life moved very slowly, as if I had entered some bizarre sci-fi time-slowing anomaly. But I'm not complaining. I was well fed, relaxed and honestly, scrubbing bird poop off the headstones of dead relatives can make you feel a strange connection to them. I had a good time with the old folks. And they didn't even harass me about getting married (much.) In fact, upon seeing the interior of my house, one great aunt said, "Oh, you don't need a wife. She'll just mess up the place." EXACTLY.


Bad birds!

4 comments:

grace said...

you are an angel. i would've died if i had to spend that much time with family.

Jer said...

It's good in small doses... I don't think I could have handled another day though. On the plus side, I learned all kinds of interesting things about my grandfather during World War II. These kinds of stories make it worth it.

TerraT said...

if you're 25 then they're not allowed to bother you about getting married... for... at least seven years.

Jer said...

Yeah, but they're OLD.