Friday, June 03, 2005

Nevada Road Trip

Photos from my business trip to Nevada

Some highlights:

FLY GEYSER.
The colors are sublime -- oranges and greens and browns, hot, glittering pools. Nothing has been done to sharpen/brighten the colors in these photos. This is the actual color. Looks painted, no? It's in the black rock desert in the middle of nowhere; privately owned so we had to track down the caretaker in a diner in this tiny tiny, po-dunk town. He was an interesting guy: part-time cattle driver, part-time pilot. He jokingly told us he wouldn't let us in unless we were Republican. I lied to him. The geyser is always on -- shooting out streams of water constantly, like a little fountain. The water spills off pocky sides into little pools, glittering all pretty-like against the sunlight. It was "discovered" in the 60s when some people hit a geothermic pocket drilling for water. Then it just formed on its own.

BASQUE FOOD.
Ah, the basque. They settled Nevada way back when and have a big presence in cities like Elko. They're big sheep herders, those basque, so there was a lot of sheep on the menu. My opinion of them as a people considerably improved, having met Basques before that were mostly grumpy and irritable. I figured it had something to do with them not being able to figure out if they are Spanish or French.

INDIAN RESERVATIONS.
There were Indians. EVERYWHERE.

WILD HORSE RESERVOIR.
Oooh, pretty. The kind of place that makes you think, am I still in Nevada? We didn't see any wild horses though. Just deer, and cows, and lizards. Also we saw a bald eagle up close. I was so going to murder it and mount it on my wall.

BLACK ROCK DESERT.
This place was cool. Unlike most of the state, there is no vegetation, just flat, salty ground stretching white into the horizon. The Burning Man festival takes place there in the fall....you know, that bizarre, naked gathering of neo-hippies up to no good. It's a good location for it, seeing as they can't possibly be bothering anybody, out there in the middle of nowhere. Still, the caretaker for Fly Geyser loathes the whole thing -- says they're messy and loud. Plus, I doubt many are Republican.

SPIRIT CAVES.
They found a 10,000 year-old skeleton in these caves. Sparked a huge controversy between the local Indians and scientists. Some wanted to study the bones, some wanted to bury them again. Plus, some crazy people have come up with a few interesting theories based on the fact there is evidence the bones have a Caucasian origin. Google it.

RENO.
Crazy, freaky people live there. I was secretly hoping I would run into the cast of RENO 911. No luck.

CARSON CITY.
Hours of meetings with the state historian. Lots of trees. Didn't make it to Lake Tahoe, thanks to blabbing archivists. Cried myself to sleep.

HIGHWAY 50.
We took this road on the way back. It's called the "Lonliest Highway in America," but in truth it really isn't that lonely. I've seen lonlier roads. MUCH lonlier. This one, eh, a little backwards maybe but still has its fair share of visitors. All the stopping along the way caused us to miss the Great Basin National Park. Damn those delicious smoothies.

SHOE TREE.
Oh my gosh, WTF? We're driving down the lonely highway and all of a sudden there's this big tree covered in hundreds and hundreds of shoes! (see photos). I was tempted to leave mine there but then I realized I needed them for wearing.

Overall a great trip. Lots and lots of driving and and work but mostly a lot of great sight-seeing. Also, I ran over a bunny. I was going 90 mph and it just appeared in the middle of the road, blinded by my headlights. It would not move and then CLUNK-CLUNK, I squished its little head. Sorry Grace, I'm a bunny killer.

The End.

8 comments:

grace said...

NOT THE BUNNY!

i'm going to cry now. you bastard.

btw, love the pics. very nice. now you can be my guide. not that i would ever go. but if i ever did you could be my guide.

uh. yeah.

Jer said...

I fear my total lack of regular posting has lost me all my readership. Thank goodness for Grace comments!

I would totally be your guide. I'm like a Nevada expert or something now. Did you know that Bing Crosby had a ranch near Elko? Yeah, I'm full of amazing facts like that.

grace said...

do you see what you've done? shall i pimp you out on my blog? i'd be more than happy to be your pimp.

and WOW! bing crosby had a ranch there! WOW! i'm WAY too excited about that!

Cindy-Lou said...

That moon picture made me go "oooohhhh". Really.

Jer said...

Grace: Well, I need to start posting more first -- then, if I have still lost my readers, I'll let you pimp me :) I could always use a good pimp.

What: Well it seems Highway 50 has been kind to you. Perhaps it's on account of the lonliness -- it wants to be sped on, or something. Also, maybe the cops are just bigger jerks in Utah.

By the way, Reno 911 is not cancelled! Season 3 starts soon -- and I will be watching. From the previews, it already looks hilarious.

CL: Well, thank you. Driving through Nevada while the moon was rising with all the colors, that REALLY made me go "oooohhh."

grace said...

i was born to be a pimp!

NARDAC said...

very nice photos jeremy... like I said before, sounded like a great premise for a trip... that geyser, though... that's the money shot.

mark said...

congradulations. you have now made the trip that i have to drive anytime i go from sacto to utah... i know the shoe tree and the wretched hole known as elko quite well.

ever since i was five somthing bad has happened to me in elko whenever i would pass through. this has kind of subsided as i have begun to take advantage of air travel more latley, but it culminated in the summer of 1998 when my frined and i broke down there and had to spend the night in a questionable institution, and then ride the greyhoud to salt lake next to a harry unwashed, unshaven (this should go without saying) euro lady. bad bad bad.

that geyser was crazy looking... great photos.