Friday, October 28, 2005

Buy one, Get 29 Free

If you’re going to go skydiving, 30 is a good age to do it. That’s what I told my friend Varsey, as her 30th birthday approached. I had it all planned out. Some friends and I were going to pay for her ticket, fly her up high somewhere, toss her out the plane, then have a special “screening” where we all watched the DVD, openly delighting in her fear. It was going to be great.

Going to be. She chickened out before plans were set in motion. Too much stress, she said. Having just gotten a new job at a private school, she insisted her life was stressful enough without dealing with the thought of plummeting hundreds of feet. I was all for doing it anyway -- dragging her bound and gagged into the plane and tossing her out like a sack of potatoes. Surely she would thank me for it later. But no one else thought that was a good idea.

Still, something had to be done. That something took place last Friday. Varsey thought she was going on a blind date, set up by myself and my friend, Shauna, who were to double with her.

We showed up at her house with her date, Dave, in tow. He presented her with a single rose. She grabbed her coat, and off we went. Varsey seemed pleased with Dave, who is the type of person who is always grinning. These kinds of people are either pleasant or really scary. He was the pleasant type. We approached my car and he the opened door for her to get in. When he shut the door, she found herself setting next to someone else, holding out another rose. She looked a little shocked. “Hello!” she said, scooting over. “I guess we’ll just have to make more room.” But Dave was gone, and I was already driving away.

“Where’s Dave?” she asked.
“That’s not my name,” said her new date.
“We’re just going to leave him behind?”
“Leave who behind?” I asked. “Are you feeling okay, Varsey?” Shauna, of course, couldn’t stop laughing.

I stopped for gas, and Varsey’s new date said he needed gum. By the time I was finished at the pump, a third guy was emerging from the store, with another rose.

“But he told me he was just getting gum.” Varsey said, with mock irritation.
“I did get gum,” said the third guy, holding it out for her. “Want a piece?”

By now she knew what was going on, of course. But Varsey’s good at playing along. I drove for a few more minutes, parked, and we all got out of the car.

“You’re turning 30,” I told Varsey. “I figured we’d all go some place nice.”
We walked into the mall food court, taking in the circle of cheap fast food joints packed with teenagers. “Take your pick,” I said.

By the time she got food and found a table, there was a fourth date waiting for her, with another rose. Date #3 feigned anger and stormed out.

“What was that all about?” the fourth guy said, glaring at Varsey. “I thought we didn’t keep secrets from each other.”

It continued like this. My cell phone would vibrate in my pocket. Shauna or I would kick the guy under the table, he would find an excuse to leave, and another guy would show up with another rose. Well, it didn’t always go that smoothly. Sometimes the guy didn’t take the hints, and sometimes the new guy didn’t show up when he was supposed to. Sometimes I even forgot I wasn’t supposed to answer my phone, to the annoyance of Jodi who I had to pretend was my mother.

“Stop calling me, mom,” I would say.
“Shut up, son,” said Jodi who was a few stores away with pools of men waiting to be sent out. “Another one is on the way.”

We had a couple surprises. At dessert, a guy I’d never seen before, sporting tattoos and bandana showed up. Apparently Jodi scooped him up randomly, to replace a no-show. He was “interesting”, to say the least, insisting on giving Varsey a kiss before leaving. Jodi sent out other passer-bys, which made things all the more entertaining. It didn’t take long before we had an audience, half the food court nosily trying to figure out what was going on. Varsey played along nonchalantly, taking it all in stride.

The pile of roses on the table grew until it reached 29. “One more date to go,” Varsey said.
“Excuse me?” said date 29. “All of a sudden I’m not good enough?”

Finally, Dave, her original date, showed up with the 30th rose. It was over. I can't say I was disapointed. You can only stand so much time in a food court. We finished off the night at a campfire, in the woods below a friend’s house. Smores are a good way to end anything, I figure.

By now, it may be that you are gagging on the cuteness of it all, your wind pipe stuffed up with thick chunks of cute. I don’t know what to tell you. This kind of thing is commonplace in Mormondom. Just this week, we had a follow up surprise party for Varsey. Everyone came bearing gifts: 30 of something -- 30 pencils, 30 eggs, 30 band-aids, 30 toilet paper rolls. The main entertainment was a video of the date, which had been taped more or less discreetly. Overly cute? Yes. A good time? Yes.

Still, when I turn 30, I’m going a different route. No need for something complicated and elaborate. No food courts, no campfires, no cute gift ideas. None of that for me. My first idea was the better one, after all. I just want a plane, some anti-anxiety pills, and a long, spiraling plummet. And smores. Don’t forget the smores.

19 comments:

kris said...

You guys are wonderful friends. And amazingly creative friends! How wonderful.

I wish you lived closer so you could do something fun for my 32nd in a few weeks. (Yes, it really is all about me.)

Great idea and great pics! I can't imagine what you'll pull when you propose!

Kim said...

That is overly cute and I love it!

You're birthday's soon Kris? How 'bout I fly Jeremy in and we all go skydiving?

grace said...

totally cute! i'm turning 30 soon. okay, in 2007. whatever. close enough.

you guys are so cute! hehehe... :)

so, are you really going sky diving for your 30th? :)

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kristen said...

Wow, are you really ever going to propose?

Jer said...

Kris: You're turning 32 -- I will have to mail you a cake. (If by "cake" we mean "cake-like doodle" and by "mail" we mean "think about drawing."

Kim: I'll only fly to DC if we get to jump out of the plane on the way -- I'm not about to take two plane trips if I can do it in one.

Grace: That's my plan. Wait five years, get on a plane, and join me.

K: How should I know? Do I look like some kind of fortune-telling gypsy?

Valerie said...

Jer,

That was great!! I want to see the video :)

Val

NARDAC said...

That's an amazing idea for a 30th birthday. I think the only thing that could top that would be if you threw 30 random men , out of a plane, and they all gave her roses, before being smushed on the ground.

Jer said...

That's brilliant! It must be done!

grace said...

uhm... would you still talk to me if i pissed myself whilst skydiving?

kris said...

Nardac, quit ignoring my blatant attempt to get a gift par avion.

Jeremy, we will be waiting for you next weekend at a DC pool hall with an ample landing lawn. We'll be by the big X.

NARDAC said...

Kris - Do you want me to send the aged french midget with the shitty white dog or the bum-picker whose sweatpants are so baggy he looks like he's permanently crouching? Just send me your address and your gift will arrive in due form.

BTW, when's your birthday? Mine's coming up in 2 weeks (hint hint).

Kim said...

Okay, Jeremy, here's the plan. I'm flying out of SLC on Sunday and you'll come with me. Then we'll jump out of the plane and land at Kris's house for a belated bday present.

Don't tell Kris though, it'll be a surprise.

Jer said...

It's a plan. I'm already practicing my roof-landing technique: Drop, bend the knees, roll, jazz hands.

kris said...

You had us at knees.

Bring Nardac. It'll be a tandem jump.

NARDAC said...

I don't do jazz hands. I can do the robot.

Kim said...

I literally spit out my water when I read "jazz hands". Classic.

Anonymous said...

Aw...my bday was Monday, Oct. 31 (yes, halloween...spooky). That's pretty sweet and it sounded much better than that $20 puke stain I left on the carpet at the hotel on Saturday (yes, I have to pay for it...happy birthday to me!)

grace said...

so... how was your happy dance party? :P