Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Walmart Banshee

I was pushing a shopping cart around Walmart the other day, dodging what I could only guess were rednecks and homeless people, wondering once again why I sacrificed a pleasant, odor-free environment just so I wouldn't have to drive too far, when I heard an ungodly commotion coming from the pet supplies aisle.

“Get the f--- off me, mother f---ers!!” some creature was shrieking. “Don't you touch me, b----! Get the f--- off me!!"

Naturally I was curious. After all, in normal circumstances, the most exciting part about shopping at Walmart is leaving the store. This was certainly more interesting than anything else that had happened that day, not counting what happened on T.V. I had to get a closer look, so I nonchalantly turned my cart in the direction of the screaming, which increased in volume as I approached. “Get the f--- off me! Get the f--- off me!!” the creature moaned over and over again. Soon I could make out that someone was being pinned by what looked like half a dozen cops. About that time I reminded myself that I hate “lookie-loos,” the kind that stare like stunned cattle at anything and everything, especially near car accidents, causing much more traffic than the accident ever could. So I decided to keep my distance, continue shopping, and let the cops do their job.

But the screaming kept going, on and on and on. It seemed like Walmart had a recording they were looping over the loudspeakers, although why they would choose a chorus of “Get the f--- off me,” to their normal new-age elevator music, I can't begin to explain. Reaching out to younger markets, probably.

As the screaming continued, I kept staring at items I had no intention to buy, just so I could listen for any new developments, all the while pretending non-interest. Most people were not so discreet, often walking right up to the cops before being shooed away. Finally, the cops stood up and begin to lead the angry screamer towards the front of the store. I was surprised to see that the detainee was no more than a small, pudgy girl, that couldn't have been older than 16. My first thought was, wow that girl has lungs! What a waste of talent, entertaining the masses at Walmart instead of on a stage at a death-metal concert. My second thought was, why are some people so easily provoked into hysteria? The girl was still screaming, at full force, “Get the f--- off me, b----!” to the female cop holding her arms. She was in her own, rage-induced world, hollering for no reason other than to keep up her strange pseudo-rhythm. My third thought was deeper still: do I really need eggs? I could have sworn I bought eggs just last week.

It seems like it would take A LOT to get me as riled up as that girl; like someone murdering my parents, and then murdering my friends, and then murdering all the band members in The Stills. Perhaps then I could reach her level of hysteria. As to what brought out this rage in the girl, I can only guess. Maybe some of Walmart's “falling prices” hit her in the face. Or maybe she was attacked by that scary smiley face from the commercials. I admit, I would be upset if that happened to me. In fact, just that “rollin' rollin' rollin'” song alone could drive me into an insane rage. I'm wetting myself from anger, just thinking about it.

14 comments:

mark said...

who knew that a place as seemingly benign as wal mart housed such potential for unadulterated rage... but you mentioned that the offending girl was pudgy? that might have something to do with it.

Quyen said...

"Maybe some of Walmart's “falling prices” hit her in the face."

Classic.

Jer said...

Good one, wilkes. Why are fat jokes always so funny to me...

grace said...

hehehe... great post. i giggled quite a bit...

you insensitive jerk. fat jokes are only funny to you because you're slim. what about the rest of us, huh? HUH?

just kidding. i *heart* fat jokes :P

Cece Martinez said...

I hate rubberneckers too but doggone it...I am a total hypocrite because I just LOVE being nosy. That girl was deranged. What an idiot.

Cindy-Lou said...

My guess would be crackhead. But that's going out on a limb. Did you get the eggs?

NARDAC said...

yeah did you? or did falling prices get you too?

rubber-necking is perfectly allowed if you end up blogging about it afterwards. was annoyed at the lack of details, and got tired of looking over your shoulder at those very unattractive eggs!

btw, why do you always go f--k instead of FUCK?

grace said...

because jeremy's a good boy... also because family's reading it. no? :P

i love good boys. they're so much fun to turn bad :P muwahahahaha...

did that just slip out? damn!

Jer said...

CL: I got the eggs! And it's a good thing too, becase if I didn't, I wouldn't have them.

Nardac: That's a very good question. Technically, it really doesn't matter, since if I'm already going to write "f---," people are going to know what I'm talking about, and so I might as well use the real word. But Grace hit it on the head -- sometimes my family reads this blog, and aren't the swearing type. Plus, I don't swear in real life (usually), so why pretend like I do on my blog? Sure, it makes no sense and is a pretty weak argument, but here we are.

As long as I'm contradicting myself, try this on: I have no problem swearing in French. In fact, I rather enjoy it. There are so many delightfully profane sayings in French. In English, all we really have is the f-word and you can only stretch it so many ways. What's wrong with you, English?

Grace: My "bad days" are over. But you're free to try if you're up for the challenge :)

grace said...

are you kidding me??? fuck is such a fabulous word!!! i use it all the time. for everything!

hmmm, you already had your bad days, eh? i prefer to taint those boys who have never been bad, but hey! a good boy is a good boy! :P FUN! muwahahaha....

j.i.g. said...

Ahh, swearing in French doesn't count, because it sounds so pretty! And because you can get away with saying it in front of kids, on TV, on a tee-shirt, heck, on a billboard... without offending most of the people here. :)

Quyen said...

Yeah, French doesn't count...

At this point in my day, I'm actually visualizing people getting hit by falling prices... like some bad take of a Wal-mart TV ad... hehehe... they should make blooper tapes :P

Anonymous said...

1. There are times to swear and use the f-word, but those times are rare. Using the f-word or any other swear words demonstrates a person's lack of intelligence. If you rarely swear the force of those words will be much more significant. If you rarely swear, then on those rare occasions that you do swear others will take notice. It is very similar to using an exclamation point!

2. Fat jokes are funny because: (a) if they are told by skinny people we think, 'what an insitive person and how could they say such a thing' and then we laugh; or (b) if a fat joke is told by a fat person we think, 'that person is fat and they are telling fat jokes' and then we laugh. So either way fat jokes are always funny.

grace said...

that's so funny because when i'm really angry or when i'm really trying to make a point, i don't curse at all. i don't insult, i don't use "bad words"... that's when you know i'm really fucking pissed.

i find that not using curse words make a much stronger point. when i'm being flippant's when i'm cursing the most. it's just a word, anyway. who the fuck cares?

(sorry, jeremy, for the use of cursewords... i try not to curse too often on others blogs because some might think it's disrespectful.... hehehe)