Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Crapples

Perusing the produce section of my local grocery store last week, I came upon the most curious fruit. “Grapple,” the label read. “Looks like an apple, tastes like a grape!”

My first thought was: “Those crazy scientists! What will they think of next?” It was a natural assumption: if an apple claims to taste like a grape, then there must be some kind of genetic interference, right?

The grapples came in a 4-pack, smelled very strongly of grape flavor, and were ridiculously expensive. I bought them, of course. Who am I to turn down a genetic abomination?

Naturally, it was all lies. For one thing, they don’t taste like grapes. They taste like apples! Sure, they smell like grape jolly ranchers, but all grape flavor is lost once you bite past the skin. My next thought was: “Scientists, you are failures! Go back to scientist school!”

Then I read the packaging.
“Ingredients: Fuji apples, Artificial Grape Flavor.”

So there was no genetic manipulation after all. Just plain apples soaked in grape flavor. I quickly flashed through an emotional spectrum, starting with denial, then incredulity, depression, and finally, violent rage.

My mother always taught me that you can solve any problem by writing an angry letter. So I went on the official Grapple website to give them a piece of my mind. But, on the way, I was distracted by a Grapple message board. Yes, there’s a message board for Grapple.

Here are some highlights:

“Oh my gosh!!!! these are grate! I love them, and most people think that I’m macking up some kind of fruit. But i sugesst that every one should try them!!!!!!”

“grapples taste like wet tar”

“I haven’t been able to walk for 15 years now. Just two bites of this grapple made me spring to my feet in ecstasy! I no longer need to eat anything else ever again!”

By the time I finished reading the board, my rage had simmered into amusement. Sure, maybe Grapple is an overpriced joke. And sure, I could easily make my own Grapples with plain apples and grape soda. But if anyone stands to win here, it’s fat children. After all, Grapples smell like candy. We can trick the little bastards into eating healthy. That’s good parenting.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd take tomacco over grapples any day.

grace said...

man, utah is behind the times if you're JUST GETTING GRAPPLES NOW! :P hehe.

i wasn't so fond of the grapple-y smell... but i did like the consistency of the apple. it was nice and crisp... mmm. fuji apples. mmm, grape soda. :P

NARDAC said...

Well, I've always been a fan of licken... lettuce cross-bred with chicken and ready to kick your ass, if it could think... which it can't with a vegetable head...

gross... I'm going back to work now.

jess said...

i love the spelling of the first review. macking. if you had only read the reviews first... maybe you would have a few extra bucks in your pocket and about a half hour of your life back! but... i wouldn't be able to post this comment! that picture of an apple having a joyous time in the grape soda/juice is purely fabulous. grapples seem to be "invented" solely for the pleasure of the apples playing in the grape stuff.

jess said...

i feel like i've been had.... there is no grapple message board! yes, i actually did look. i don't know why! i was looking for a good laugh, i guess!

Jer said...

On second look, I realize the message board is actually a very long comments section of a blog. Here's the link if you want to read them all. Amusing stuff.

http://kalsey.com/2004/12/grapple/comments.html