Tuesday, April 11, 2006

History Day Shenanigans

Last week some coworkers and I were asked to judge a regional History Day competition. History Day is like a Science Fair without the science part. The rules are the same: foam-board displays, pasted-on facts, and glaringly obvious parental involvement. I got assigned to the Elementary school kids, who were pretty easy to locate on account of their tiny, tiny bodies. My job was to walk around with a clipboard, listen to their presentations, and evaluate their worth as human beings. During it all, I frequently daydreamed of driving groups of 10-year-olds to tears with loud, ridiculous declarations ("Could this BE any more pedestrian?!")

Yeah, I didn't do that.

In fact, I was a sucker judge. These kids were too cute for their own good. Most of them were polished, informed, and articulate. Some even wore costumes. How can you grade two girls dressed as Harriet Tubman harshly? Also, the grading system made it difficult to give a realistic score. The three categories were SUPERIOR, EXCELLENT, and GOOD. Frankly, some of the entries I saw were CRAP, but that wasn't a category.

After I had scored all the kiddies, I had to rank them into first, second, and third place. This was probably the most difficult part. My thought process went something like this: "Group-A has a well documented, annotated bibliography. That's good. On the other hand, Group-B is the clear winner in adorableness."

Somehow I got through it.

On the way home, my coworker, Michelle, and I decided to take a small detour into the canyon. We were expected back at the office to finish off the workday, but it was too damned sunny and wonderful outside. So we went wading in a river. Turns out that the water, despite the deceptively pleasant weather, was cold enough to kill a penguin. I suppose unmelted snow near the riverbank should have tipped us off.

Already in the beginning stages of hypothermia, our next great idea was to continue through the canyon to a nearby ski resort. Together we rehearsed the excuse we would offer our boss:

"We tried to get back to the office, honest!" we would say. "But the car suddenly took a wrong turn. And our mothers always taught us that when you're lost, you should always head North. Or in this case, East, towards the mountains. We were as shocked as you are when we found ourselves in skis. Believe us, we have no recollection of ever putting them on. The only logical thing to do at that point was ski home. And for some reason, no matter how hard we skied, we kept ending up back at the resort. It was horrible! I mean, haven't we gone through enough? In fact, why don't you stop badgering us and fetch some hot chocolate?"

Well I still have a job, so sufficed to say, we abandoned that plan. It's too bad though. It would have been awesome.

12 comments:

NARDAC said...

My parents only interfered with my speeches, never my cardboard. If was the leader of some miniature cardboard army, I'd hire you as my sub-lieutenant.

Kristen said...

ahh, I long for the days of dioramas and copying from the encyclopedia.

Jer said...

Nardac: I'm not so sure that sub-lieutenant of the Cardboard Army has career-advancing possibilities. But I'll keep it in mind.

K: These days it's all cutting and pasting from the internet. Not many of the kids got their information from books.

grace said...

awesome. you posted twice as many times this month as you did last month. are you gonna go for a record and post AGAIN this month? i'm not sure i can handle that. :P

i can't believe they didn't have a CRAP category.

my parents did all my projects for me. yeah. i sucked THAT much. anyway, i always got good grades on them. heh. i ruled.

i hope you graded on who really deserved it instead of the cutest kids. the cute kids already get all the breaks as it is!!! :P

Jer said...

You'll be happy to know that I gave first place to a group who did their project on Bessie Coleman (the first black female pilot). They did a good job -- totally deserved it.

Then there was this one girl who kept calling World War II, "The Civil War II" ... Yeah, she didn't get any awards for that.

Jer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
grace said...

the civil war II! HAH! kids are STUPID! :P hehe.

i'm very proud of you. i'm glad you gave it to the kiddies who deserved it. heh.

Anonymous said...

Back in high school I entered the history day contest twice. Actually, I was required to as a class assignment. Then, from all of the history day assignments, they chose which ones would go to YSU for the regional competition. One time, I wrote a history day paper about Exorcisms. I got the whole teaching staff in a bundle because they couldn't decide whether to actually send it to regionals or not because it was...explicit to say the least. They did end up sending it and though I didn't win anything for it, I could tell from the judges comments that they enjoyed it.

jess said...

i feel like i'm watching an episode of the simpsons.

Kristen said...

hey, you're gonna be old, in like, two days.

happy oldness day.

NARDAC said...

you have to at least say something for your oldness day. C'mon... ask us for some dumb questions, a useless meme or a cliched Q'n'A. I'm armed to to the teeth with very interesting questions... very very interesting questions which, like this comment, will probably go nowhere.

Anonymous said...

hey jer, do you remember i went to regionals twice for my history day presentation during middle school. The first time i won school, i was excited, the second time i won school i tried to refuse but they made me take it to LA county. Tons of hours of work for nothing! I didn't have enough primary sources they whined.