Monday, July 18, 2005

Hotter Than Yo Mama

The high in northern Utah is going to be a mere 90 today. You have no idea how happy this makes me. I am crying tears of joy as we speak. Crying like a diseased orphan who has tasted chocolate for the first time. You see, it's been over 100 degrees for about a week now and my evaporative cooler is broken. That means the temperature inside my house is only slightly cooler than the surface of the sun. Why does it have to be so hot? I blame global warming, because I like to make outrageously misinformed statements when naturally occuring weather cycles anger me.

I've been camping out in my basement, where it's much colder than the rest of the house. I have multiple fans going and have established laws banning the wearing of clothing.

Come Wednesday, a repair man will be stopping by to fix my defunct cooling system. By then, I expect I will have lived so long in my cave I will have forgotten how to interact with the outside world. I will wonder where this strange, uniformed man-ape came from and whether or not he is edible. When he makes the cool air come back on, I will surely think he is a powerful god sent to bring back the great snows. Perhaps I will have established a successful maintenance-man centered religion, complete with clergy and virgin sacrifices, before I finally regain my senses.

Yes, it is THAT hot.

Luckily, over the weekend I escaped some of this heat by fleeing to the mountains. Brighton, a popular Utah ski resort, is pretty magnificent this time of year. I was waylaid at one point on my trip when a large, shaggy horse stopped in the middle of the road. Then I noticed there were people all around this ugly horse taking pictures. Then I realized this horse was a moose. And not an intelligent moose. She was standing in the middle of the road eating gravel! Who does that?

I saw several other moose on that trip, meandering about like they own the forests or something. I think the plural of "moose" should be "meese." It works for geese, don't it? I am so sick of these mother-effing grammatical exceptions.

Back at the resort, we (friends and I) had an entire manor to ourselves, thanks to these friends' string quartet performing for the manor owners. But it all ended too soon. It was a sad, sad time when I drove back down to the sweltering city. I contemplated doing a 360 on the freeway and starting a few head-on collisions. You know, kill everyone for their own good.

Yes, it is THAT hot.

7 comments:

grace said...

hehehe... you sound delirious.

i love it. made me giggle throughout the post.

btw - i call multiple moose "meese" all the time.

and the plural for penis is penii. in case you were curious. you know, like cactus, catci, penis, penii.

it all makes sense, doesn't it???

NARDAC said...

moose... that's nice... I was trying to figure out which words in the english language don't change between singular and plural. I had forgotten about moose.

I once considered getting a wading pool to sleep in once when I was really hot... but I just filled up the bathtub, and was about to hop in when my cat suddenly plunged headfirst into a bucket next to the tub. He looked bad and stupid in a green plastic bucket... and I thought to myself, how uncool is the heat?

kris said...

Boy you have the life. Having your unclothed fans taking care of you in your basement. Maybe that's not what you meant . . .

Cece Martinez said...

OMG. That was so funny because I've endured that kind of heat before. I know exactly how crazy it makes you. The whole caveman thing...and finding the repair guy edible...CRACKED ME UP.

Pix said...

Sigh, I'm sitting here in front of a heater in fleecey pyjamas. Middle of winter. Coming from a temperate clime I'm not sure I'd cope with your heat, but I quite like the sound of a land with enforced nudity.

Jer said...

Grace: Indeed. Meese is a better word. When will we come to grips with this?

Nardac: That's why you should have ran your cat over, long ago.

Kris: But that's EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT. Heh.

Cece: the repairman comes tomorrow. If he doesn't fix my junk -- boom, mass murder.

Pix: Can we trade continents?

jess said...

I was watching this thing on Nat'l Geographic recently about odd houses. People actually build cave-like homes... they're more like mud huts. just a suggestion.