Friday, July 22, 2005

Marriage-a-Thon (and on and on)

It’s that time or year again. Seems like everyone I know (and their poodles) are getting married. That’s what happens when you live in Mormondom, where the wedding punch flows like cheap liquor at a frat party. A never-ending flow. And I’m stuck in the middle of it, attending reception after reception, carting around gift registries, filling out cards with good advice, dressing up, dancing to the caustic thump of bad DJs.

I’m used to it now, and it’s really not all bad. There have been some enjoyable weddings. Yesterday was an all-day affair. I took the day off work, got up early, and headed to the Logan temple. My good friends Stephanie and Robert were tying the knot and I was to take photographs outside after the sealing ceremony. If you ever have a chance to go to a Mormon temple open-house (the free tour before they’re closed to the public), I would highly recommend it. The sealing rooms are breath-taking: the luminous chandeliers, the alter, the mirrors that reflect everything a thousand times.

Robert is from the Czech-republic and had to translate for his mother throughout the ceremony. She just sat there and beamed. I had stopped by their house the day before to show Stephanie the wedding slideshow I was making for them. Robert’s mom, who was seeing all the photographs for the first time, kept gasping with delight. Made all those hours worth it. Later, when I was going through the line at the reception, she held on to my hand tightly and kept thanking me in Czech. You can’t not like the woman.

Of course there are bad parts. Taking photographs in the hot sun when it’s over 100 degrees outside is akin to chewing on jagged bits of scrap metal. Then, racing back to my house to insert the photos and videos into the slideshow in time to make the luncheon... well let’s just say that was also “fun.” As the DVD is burning, I’m trying to throw on fresh clothes but foolishly answer the door and have to spend time shooing away a man trying to sell me coupon books. Then I’m on the phone trying to convince a caller that no, I’m not selling my house, despite my number being printed in the newspaper. I’m not looking forward to the calls I’ll be getting with that screw-up.

Finally, at the reception I can relax, my only concerns are to restart the DVD when it runs its course, and take a few candid photographs of the goings-on. The reception hall is classy, tastefully decorated and completely void of lame DJs. There is a large chocolate fountain with platters of fresh fruit. I enjoy myself.

Of course, the wedding season is far from over. Just the night before I was at my cousin’s reception and in a month I will fly to California to see my younger sister married.

Myself, I’ll probably spend a good many years waiting to catch that garter. I’m nowhere near marriage-ready. That requires dating someone for more than three months. Hah! One obstacle at a time.

18 comments:

grace said...

i'm still bitter that you're only staying for a weekend and you'll be too busy :(

UNLESS YOU'RE LYING TO ME! which you better not be because... because well, i don't know. sheesh. don't make me crash your sister's wedding :P

i will never get to see a mormon wedding, i think... unless you invite me to yours :P hey, do mormons frown on drinking? (just wanna know if i need to bring my own flask) HAH! :P

Jer said...

Yeah, it's against the health code, so you'd definately have to bring your own flask. But, you can always hide it conveniently in a bible.

grace said...

note to self: purchase bible, cut out pages to stick flask in it.

NARDAC said...

The picture looks great! They look so happy. I wish I had some Czech words to say to you...

vy provést můj kluk dívat se výnosný. další ženská, žádný idea.

*that took too long...

Jer said...

translation:

blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah....idea.

NARDAC said...

*why did I have that much time?*

I was pretending to be a Czech mom:

"You make my son look good. Other woman, no idea who she is."

kris said...

Wait a second, I don't know you too well yet, but that isn't you with the bride, is it?

Thanks for the link. Yours is on its way . . .

Cindy-Lou said...

You're not condoning alcohol, are you Jeremy?

Jer said...

Nardac: Heh, excellent. I'm sure all my czech readers will be thrilled.

Kris: No, that's the groom.

CL: Umm...not that I know of.

Cece Martinez said...

Oh they look so cute. I can't wait until they have a few kids and then they'll start looking like crazed lunatics.
Okay. I didn't really mean that.

Kat said...

You know how you have a type of person that you are attracted to? Yeah? Well I found a whole country of them, while in Prague,I had to make a rule about czech men...

grace said...

HELLO????

it's been DAYS and i'm going through jeremey-withdrawls...

grace said...

i'm going to comment every day until you come back to me. uhm, i meant us.

:P

Jer said...

hehe.. Grace you're hilarious. I've been avoiding the blogworld for the last week because I just had multiple projects dumped on me at work. Plus, I haven't been home much. But I'll try to post something tomorrow. Thanks for checking in!

grace said...

FINE. *sniffle* :P

kris said...

She isn't the only one. The rest of us have had nothing to cut and paste into our blogs bc you haven't been posting. Git to it. :)

Hope work isn't overwhelming!

Katie said...

I love getting invited to weddings outside my own culture and religion. They're always extra touching because they're different.

TerraT said...

You can last a whole three months? Wow. I only last about three minutes. I know, I know, and yes. There is something wrong with me

;)

Great pic!