Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Two Down

I'm all giddy-like. My second book came in today, hot off the press. It's just so tremendously satisfying to flip through 10 months of hard work. I'll look at certain pages and remember exactly what I was thinking or doing when I designed it. That spread on Ben Franklin -- I was listening to NPR. That sidebar on labor unions -- I was eating a fat, delicious taco. Which makes me wonder why I have a hard time remembering other things.

Because you're all visual learners, I grabbed the camera here at the office, made sure no one was looking, and snapped a photo of me and the book. I would look happier but at the time I was wondering when the stupid self-timer would go off. Oh, and the plant from my cubicle somehow got in the way. You get the point.

Two books on Pennsylvania out of the way. I'm so glad I've moved on to other states. I was so sick of it. If Pennsylvania and I were dating, we would totally have had a long, painful break-up. Now the wretched state is no longer my problem. All I have to say is that those middle-school kids better learn from this book, or so help me, I'll hunt them down and beat them with it. Beat them senseless.

8 comments:

grace said...

awwww...and how cute are you??? :) posing with your book and such...

awwww...

NARDAC said...

Is this book only for kids in Pennsylvania, or is it for kids all around the country? Do highschool students have to know a lot of about Pennsylvania? Is it a special state among other states?

These are burning questions.

Jer said...

Grace: umm. thank you?

Nardac: well, because you're dying to know: my department specializes in state history books and that's pretty much all we do. In the U.S., state history is taught in elementary and middle school (rarely high school), and we make books for both grade levels. The Pennsylvania books I made will only be used by kids in Pennsylvania. No one else has to know about Pennsylvania history (although they will, anyway, when they study U.S. history in high school; since PA politics played a huge factor in the forming of the country (Gotta love those democratic Quakers).

That is all.

kris said...

Good stuff! Congrats on the book. I just got to your blog via Kim's Notebook . . . I'm gonna go explore some more . . . I'll be back in time for dinner.

NARDAC said...

Thank you very much. I didn't think everybody around the US was going to need to know so much about Penn history as to warrant buying a textbook.

Much the same thing here in Canada... except for us it's all pre-20th Canadian history in middle school, then, once we hit the 20th century, well, Canada doesn't really play a big part in any of the major political events... we're quite the pacifist country, and pacifists tend not to make the history books.

Kristen said...

Oh, Canada.

Cindy-Lou said...

w00t!

Katie said...

Pennsylvania - how ironic. Congratulations though, and I also hold copies of blood sweat and tears with the same tenderness.