Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Winter Wonderland

I have lived in Utah for about 5 years now, and every year I go home to California for Thanksgiving. When I leave, there is not a flake of snow on the ground and every year I come back and the place is covered! This year I was so hoping there would be an exception to this bizarre rule of fate. California wasn't particularly sunny these last five days -- especially since I spent much of my vacation at my family's mountain cabin where it also snowed. I was hoping Utah would be nice this time. Alas, no such luck. (Shakes fist at Utah)

I really hate snow. Yes, you snowboarders and skiers out there, I hate it. It's like bubblegum. It's good for the first few minutes, but then you soon get sick of chewing, the flavor is all gone, and you wonder why you ever bother started in the first place. Snow gets old. Old, I tells ya! If I wanted to feel something cold and icy on me, I'd sleep with Barbara Streisand.

Ick, that was a bad comparison. Let us all delete that from our memories.

On top of dealing with the snow, I get to help my sister with her car today, which broke down on the way to my house last Wednesday. I went to meet her on the shoulder of the freeway where she was stranded. When I got there, she told me she had to relieve herself really bad. We were waiting for the toll truck guy to call so I told her to find a bush. She did so just as the toll truck guy called, and asked for her, so I started walking in her direction, not really thinking about what she was doing, until I noticed she was stooped down, frantically waving me off with her arms.
“She's uh. . .away,” I told the toll truck guy. Of course that didn't make a lick of sense since we had nowhere to go. But I wasn't about to say to the guy, “Oh, I'm sorry, but she's peeing on the side of the road right now.”

Not counting break-downs and snow, my vacation was great--a much needed five days. It's not like I have a stressful job, far from it, but it was nice to spend time away from the computer. So much food. It was pure gluttony, folks. Pure gluttonous bliss.

I also got to attend the 10th annual Thanksgiving get-together I have every year with my high school friends. We've been throwing these since sophomore year but, unlike snow, these gatherings never seem to get old. There's nothing like catching up with good friends. They actually told me they thought I'd gained weight. Me, gain weight. Hah! I wish!

Speaking of freakishly thin, so is my time. I have much to get to this morning at work but wanted to fire off another post considering I've written nothing since the lame joke about Otter Pops. Here's to a fantastic Thanksgiving for all of you. I hope you did some serious binging people. And maybe some purging. Whatever floats your boat.

10 comments:

grace said...

i tried all day yesterday to get on your blog... it just wasn't working for me...

i missed your posts so much i read them over and over again, savoring every word. okay, i didn't... but i was getting a little desperate when i kept coming up with error pages.

you were at the lake arrowhead village? :D

Jer said...

I don't know what was up with my blog yesterday. Maybe it has gained some sort of artificial intelligence and automatically shut down when I went on vacation.

Yup, I was at Arrowhead village. Crowded this year! Well, it is every year after Thanksgiving, but this year in particular. We circled the parking lot for 30 minutes, trying to find a space. Finally, we had to get out while my father continued circling, and stand in the first open spot we found. It was sheer lunacy!

But, like always, it was worth it. My mother bought me oodles and oodles of clothing -- most of which I won't get till Christmas. I am not complaining -- as long as my mother enjoys buying my clothes I'm not going to stop her.

I'm enjoying the vacation narrative on your blog. Your vacation was so much cooler than mine! See any wombats?

NARDAC said...

Ha...I know you're perfectly justified in complaining about snow. I'm originally from that white wasteland called CANADA, so I know! But, now that I'm in lovely ole' Paris, I have to say I mourn the snow. It NEVER snows here...except maybe once a year, then disappears into slush clogging drains for the whole day, then disappears altogether. People don't know what to do with their cars so there's always multiple pile-ups ...the snow is kind of melting and icy so kids throw ice-balls, thinking they're snowballs, and get hurt...and the dog shit is temporarily covered, but still lethal. When it's not snowing, it's some kind of miserable grey, with occasional drizzle, melting the molten piles of dog shit into brown shuddering masses that ooze in ambiguous ways. You think it's an old autumn leaf rotting on the sidewalk? Think again. Trust me...there are things WORSE than snow.

grace said...

i dunno! lake arrowhead village is really cute!!!

glad you scored with the clothes again... :D you'll have to post pics of your stylish new outfits...

and yes! i think wombats are the cutest little things!!!! well, not so much little... at any rate, i think they're really cute... :) i just wanted to pick one up and hug it!!! i'll post a pic later :)

Kristen said...

Do villages qualify as "cute?" I thought they were only branded "cute" if they were made of ceramic. Jeremy did you stayed in a ceramic village? No wonder it was so much fun.

grace said...

of course they do! anything can be cute!

puppies, boys, an outfit, villages...

cute is the perfect word!

Jer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jer said...

Nardac: I've never been to Canada (sadly) but I remember
the French winters well. They certainly got cold enough to snow, but there never was anything more than a little frost or slush. Of course, it could still rain like nobody's business. Cold, cold raindrops, freezing temperatures, gray sky...but hey, the summers were nice.

Kristen said...

Remind me again why France is the most romanticised country in the world? ;) I think that if it's gonna be cold, you deserve the snow. It's prettier than slush, warmer than ice and you can go sledding!

NARDAC said...

As to why Paris is thought to be the most romantic city in the world, I'm reminded of a lovely line from Clueless: It's like a Monet...a Monet????...You know, from far away it's really nice but from up close, it's a big old mess.

That's Paris, gorgeous architecture, miles and miles of the most fantastic and enticingly sophisticated stores imaginable, culture, art, oodles of style and class, and covered in dog shit, bourgeois snobs and young arab louts. And, if you're in the mood, that misty foggy rainy shit can lead to some serious in-bed time with hopefully a lover, which is the original reason why people think it's romantic.